Saturday 12 December 2015

Final Assessment Face Charts

These are the three face charts that I created for my final assessment.

The first design that I created I hadn't planned out before starting. I couldn't think of anything that was representative of the look I wanted to create for my lady in waiting so I just started with the base and created a design while I worked. I knew already that I wanted to use the colours black, green and gold as they all represent power and wealth, something the Bess of Hardwick strived for.

This first design turned out very understand because I didn't want to ruin it by doing something over the top and hating it because i hadn't planned and thought it through. Something that I didn't consider were the techniques that we had been shown during our practical lesson on elizabethan makeup, therefore it had next to no elements of elizabethan makeup within it, other than the colours. I wasn't impressed with this design, I though I was pleased with the overall finish of the chart itself.





That first face chart was a mistake and one that I apparently need to make as it influenced a lot of things that I did differently in this next one. I wanted to incorporate more classic elements of an elizabethan look while still making the whole design contemporary. I wanted to keep the base pale ut not white so i just created a very pale foundation and used the white base alone to contour around the eyes and on the cheek bones. I wanted the eyebrows to disappear so I used a royal maroon/plum colour shadow, continuing from the upper lid all the way onto the brow bone and covering the brow over so it looked as if the eye brows weren't there. I was then able to reposition where it looked like the eyebrow was entirely. I used the Illamasqua metal pallet to draw a line of gold in a lower position for the brow. I lined the eyes with white supra colour as well as whitening the lashes. I used MAC shimmer highlighter to add a dewey look to the cheeks bones and a pink blush to add colour to the apples of the cheeks. The lips I wanted to be an intense shade of gold lined with a sightly darker shade to create depth. I was really happy with the way this chart turned out, there is a better balance of both contemporary and classic elizabethan style within this design however it is not my final chosen design.



When planning this design I was really thinking about my lady in waiting and the story that I created for her. I wanted her to be pale as she is a cold hearted character in the end and because its a classic elizabethan style, therefore I used the Illamasqua white base for her face ears and neck.  I wanted to incorporate the colour gold into the chart somewhere and thought that her eyes would be the appropriate place to use this shade representing wealth and power as thats all she saw and all she strived for. I wanted the supra colour heart shape on her face to show how she had been damaged by the ones she loved and this is why I used solid lines in black for this part of my design.  I wanted it too look a little bit as though her face was sunken and dead and thats why I blended various shades of grey shadow around the edges of the heart shape in order create depth. I wanted her lips to be gold in the places that they would be highlighted normally, fading out into a black outline that meets the heart shape in the corners of her mouth. I wanted to keep the eyebrows large and contemporary, so I made them dark and thick using black supra colour as well as a black eye shadow. I finished the design off by contouring the face with MAC highlighter and a dark grey shadow from my Charles fox natural palette. I had thought through every little detail of this design and I was very pleased with the way it turned out in the end.




No comments:

Post a Comment